The Exporters Club was founded in the Eastern Cape 35 years ago and is aimed at organisations involved in exporting, either directly or indirectly, and for organisations with an interest in exporting. There are currently approximately 290 organisations on their database, including automotive, pharmaceutical, agricultural and services industries.
The objectives of the club include providing for the exchange of ideas, information and experience amongst members, to liaise with other export orientated clubs and bodies, and to apply all its funds to promoting the objectives of the club.
The club also aims to provide its members opportunity for networking in a way that contributes to their understanding of the foreign trade environment, to generate a professional export fellowship between exporters and their supporting service providers, to link with, and support institutions involved in export education and training, and to give recognition to export achievers and in general to promote an export culture.
The club annually undertakes several activities in promoting its aims. Monthly meetings are held which are conducive to networking with informative speakers on a variety of export related subjects. These functions are free for members and R100 per person for non-members.
On the 12 August 2016 the Exporters Club of South Africa – Eastern Cape hosted their prestigious Exporter of the year banquet, being their 21st awards evening. They hosted over 570 guests at the Boardwalk Convention Centre.
The judges for the SJM Flex Environmental awards were Dr Anton de Wit (NMMU), Mark Morgutti (SJM Flex), Kevin Murphy (Green Leaf) and Hoosain Mahomed (AIDC). The independent judges for the other awards were Chumile Ntuthu (ECDC), Steve Burgess (Wits Business School), Rocco Joubert (FNB), Hoosain Mahomed (AIDC), Jane Stevenson (Magnetic Storm), Kingsley Dell-Robinson (IDC) and Quintin Levey (Exporters Club chairman).
The Eastern Cape Development Corporation were the new Platinum sponsor of the event. The other sponsors for the event were Transnet National Port Authorities (gold), Credit Guarantee (gold), First National Bank (gold), Transnet Port Terminals (gold), Industrial Development Corporation (Silver) SJM Flex (Silver), Magnetic Storm (Silver) and KPMG (silver). The Weekend Post and Kingfisher FM were the media sponsors.
The master of ceremonies was Selwyn Willis and the guest speaker on the night was the Eastern Cape MEC for Economic development, Environmental Affairs and Tourism Sakhumzi Somyo.
The winners on the evening were:
• SJM Flex Environmental award – This category is this year for exporters who are ISO 14001 accredited and who pursue excellence in environmental management
• A merit awards to Ford Motor Company South Africa and General Motors South Africa for their continuous improvement
• 2016 winner of this category was Volkswagen Group South Africa
• IDC Job Creation award – This category is this year for exporters who have created the most sustainable jobs over the last year.
• A merit award to Jendamark Automation for their skills development and Ford Motor Company of South Africa for their job creation
• 2016 winner of this category was SRCC Holdings
• Best provider of services to exporters – This category is for service providers to the export industry, usually forwarding and clearing agents, shipping lines and agents, other forms of transport including courier, insurance agents, underwriters, financial services providers
• A Merit award to Motor Industry Customs Brokers for their increase in turnover and profitability.
• 2016 winner of this category was Morgan Cargo
• Best exporter – small business – This category is for direct and indirect exporters with export turnover up to R25 million
• Merit award to Mend A Bath International for their entrepreneurial flair
• Best exporter – medium enterprise – This category is for direct and indirect exporters with export turnover between R25 and R200 million
• A merit award to Hansens Engineering for their increase in turnover and profitability
• Best exporter – corporate – This category is for direct and indirect exporters with export turnover greater than R200 million
• A merit award to Eberspacher South Africa for their entrepreneurial flair and major accomplishments, a merit award to SRCC Holdings for their job creation and capital investment and merit award to Jendamark Automation for their increased turnover and job creation.
• 2016 winner was SJM Flex SA
• Best exporter – OEM – This category is for manufacturers of original equipment for the automotive industry.
• A merit award to Ford Motor Company for their increased turnover and job creation
• 2016 winner was Volkswagen Group South Africa.
• Exporter of the year 2016 – The winner of this award is the entity that in the judge’s opinion achieved the most success in the period under review. The winner of the Exporter of the year is one of the relevant category winners.
• 2016 Exporter of the Year was SJM Flex SA.
For more information on the club you can contact the chairman, Quintin Levey at quintin.levey.@kpmg.co.za.