The Port Elizabeth Italian Sporting Club in collaboration with the Port Elizabeth honorary Vice Consulate of Italy will, from 25 May to 2 June 2013, host a week of cultural activities to highlight aspects of Italian culture.
“La Dolce Vita” will commence on:
- Saturday 25 May at 11.00 with the opening of an art exhibition by newly-arrived Italian architect/artist, Dr Magda Minguzzi. Magda graduated with a PhD in Architectural Composition at the University Institute of Architecture in Venice. She was recently selected by the Venice Biennale to participate in two Master Classes in Visual Arts and Design, during which her work was also exhibited. This will be Magda’s fourth personal exhibition and her first exhibition in South Africa and is entitled “Note di colore/Sounds of colour”. It is a collection of vivid, bright tapestries and rugs which will be accompanied by music specially composed for the exhibition by two musicians of the Academy of St. Giulia in Brescia, Italy. The works will be on show at the Italian Club throughout the week.
- Sunday 26 May: At 12:00, chef and restaurateur, Dario Soresi, will demonstrate the preparation of 5 Italian dishes. Dario and his family immigrated to South Africa about 15 years ago and opened his award-winning, authentic Italian restaurant, “La Locanda” (The Inn), in George. From different kinds of pasta to prawns to meat, the demonstration should be a culinary delight and a fine example of “La Dolce Vita”!
- Monday 27 May: Peter Loyson, professor of Chemistry at NMMU, will present a talk entitled: “Hollywood in Ancient Rome”. He will analyse exerpts from 4 block-buster films of their time, “Quo vadis?”, “Ben Hur”, Spartacus” and “Gladiator” and try to discover the fascination that Hollywood directors found in ancient Rome. After the talk, locally produced genuine Italian ice-cream and coffee will be served.
- Tuesday 28 May: “To Rome With Love”, written and directed by Woody Allen, starring Alec Baldwin, Roberto Benigni and Penelope Cruz, Will be among others. It is a kaleidoscopic comedy about life in Rome and Italians in general – not to be missed! It is in Italian with English subtitles but there is also spoken English. Before the screening patrons can enjoy a typical Roman dish.
- Thursday 30 May: Pierre Matthee will host an Italian wine-tasting with Italian and locally produced wines from an Italian cultivar. An Italian meal and wine can be enjoyed after the tasting.
- Saturday 1 June: “La Dolce Vita” floral demonstration interpreting various aspects of Italian culture through the medium of plant material, (flowers and foliage) and general gifts of nature by our very own floral artists, Gail Taverner (Cicognini), Jill Hoskin and Sandy Venter.
- Sunday 2 June: The Italian community will be celebrating the anniversary of the establishment of the Italian Republic in 1946 with a luncheon at the Italian Club.
Contact the Italian Sporting Club.