IN comparing the 2014 to 2019 National Elections the space was definitely more populated in 2019 with 48 parties contesting the Provincial Elections vs 29 in 2014. Interestingly 10 parties that contested the 2014 elections did not return for the 2019 elections meaning that we had an additional 29 new political parties enter the voters roll in 2019 along with the 19 ‘stayers’.
Biggest Winner: Of all the parties contesting the 2019 Eastern Cape Provincial elections the biggest uptake this year compared to 2014 was for the Economic Freedom Fighters – EFF, who more than doubled their support from 3.779% of the vote to 7.716%
Biggest Loser: Clearly not coping this year was COPE – Congress of the (less than ever) People – who dropped massively from 1.185% of the vote in 2014 to 0.243% of the vote in 2019.
Most Disturbing Trend: The United Democratic Movement (UDM), which is the party of present Nelson Mandela Bay Executive Mayor Mongameli Bobani, which dropped a place (from 3rd in 2014 to 4th in 2019) and lost over half of it’s support only managing to poll 2.289% of the vote as compared to 5.288% in 2014. One hopes that our esteemed Mayor has a Plan B for employment in the near future.
With reference to the 19 Political Parties that have contested the 2014 and 2019 elections:
- Only FOUR had an increase in support – EFF, VF Plus, ACDP, Front Nasionaal – three of whom are as far from the centre as I am from owning an around the world Ocean Race Sailing Team.
- The other FIFTEEN all suffered a loss in support.
Conclusion: Brace yourselves PEople as it looks like we are in for a rocky ride for the next 5 years as the militants are getting stronger whilst jostling for dollars and a bigger seat at the trough of taxpayer money.
Some Advice for the Top Three:
- ANC – If you want to swallow up the other ‘moderates’ and complete negate the Desperate Alternative then your narrative needs to change. Get the country to work, take real action on corruption and let’s stop these polarising actions – a bit like Nelson Mandela.
- DA – Stop with the ‘we are so much better than you (but only in the Western Cape) attitude. Moderate your naughty schoolboy being spanked by the headmaster narrative and change to one that is all encompassing – a bit like Nelson Mandela.
- EFF – Grow Up child – a bit like Nelson Mandela.
The following two tabs change content below.