Today, DASO presidential candidate, Hlomela Bucwa, and I revealed the maladministration of the NMMU SRC budget.
Under the leadership of the SASCO led SRC there has been gross maladministration and wasteful expenditure going on behind the scenes. This is unacceptable and must be addressed as a matter of urgency.
It is common cause that the Department of Student Governance and Development exercises oversight on the budget of the SRC. However, the effectiveness of this oversight function is brought into question for two reasons.
The first being that it is evident from the financial records of the SRC that the SRC Officer employed for this function by the Department has on numerous occasions approved expenses that are against the resolution of the Management Committee regarding SRC expenditure.
Secondly, in most transactions, the expenditure is dramatically different from the proposed budget which was tabled before and approved by the student body at the first sitting of student parliament.
We have found that:
- R 37 409 went to SASCO members personnel academic fees. 258 students paid for these 7 SASCO members education.
- R 169 138.80 was spent by the SASCO lead SRC at restaurants and other catering services. Often in small amounts just over R150, which is enough to feed one person at a restaurant.
- SASCO has bought their lunch with students’ money.
- 1167 students paid for SASCO SRC members to have lunch and meetings when students still do not have meal allowances with NSFAS.
- R 78 034 was spent on SASCO
...........Next: Cabby Candi