Yesterday, the DA withdrew their motion of no confidence in Executive Mayor, Zanoxolo Wayile, as the following major concerns have either been addressed or are in the process of being rectified:
- The previous illegal Acting Municipal Manager, Mr Themba Hani has been removed from office;
- All the recent illegal and reckless staff suspension imposed by Mr Hani has been lifted;
- The Council has now appointed a legal Acting Municipal Manager until 4 March 2013;
- Yesterday, the mayor tabled a report to appoint a permanent municipal manager and although an appointment was not made, he has undertaken to do so before the end of February 2013;
- Yesterday, the mayor established a multi-party Task Team that must make a recommendation to Council on 24 January 2013, to declare the Municipal Public Accounts Committee a dedicated one;
- Yesterday, the Council adopted the new organogram in principle, which now paves the way to start the recruitment of the various permanent Executive Directors;
- Yesterday, the mayor announced that advertisements for the vacant Executive Director positions will be placed by mid December 2012; and
- Yesterday, the mayor established a multi-party Task Team to deal with the establishment of new Ward Committees.
The DA believes that the mayor has shown sufficient commitment to address the major challenges in this metro and has hence decided to not subject him to a vote of no confidence.
The DA does however expect of the mayor to now follow through and ensure that the work in progress is fully implemented before 24 January 2013.
The DA is prepared and ready to bring about good clean government, service delivery and infrastructure that works for all the people of Nelson Mandela Bay.
Cllr Leon De Villiers
Leader of the Official Opposition
Editor’s Notes: I am so pleased to see that the pressure on the Mayor has been lifted. Of course it had NOTHING to do with the fact that if the kindergarten didn’t play nice then the entire bunch of 120 councillors would have been out of their jobs!