Port Elizabeth – The DA has demanded the Nelson Mandela Bay council releases within seven days the CVs of the applicants for the position of head of the metro’s safety and security.
The demand followed reports that former correctional services commissioner, Linda Mti, who was appointed to the post earlier this week, had a criminal conviction.
According to Eyewitness News, Mti was convicted of drunk and negligent driving in 2008 and was implicated in a R1.5bn fraud and corruption case investigated by the Special Investigating Unit.
In a letter sent to council speaker Maria Hermans on Friday, DA Councillor Retief Odendaal said the party did not think Mti was fit to hold the position.
“It has recently come to light that Mr Mti has a criminal record and accordingly the DA has a reasonable suspicion that this material fact was not disclosed during the application process,” Odendaal said.
“Given the fact that this is a high profile appointment, we believe that it is in the public interest to disclose the names and CVs of all other applicants for this position.”
Should it not receive a response, the DA would consider bringing a Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA) application to access all documents that led to Mti’s appointment.
The ANC in the Nelson Mandela Bay municipality on Thursday welcomed Mti’s appointment.
ANC spokesperson Bamanye Ntshona said Mti had the “requisite experience and qualifications to deliver on this mandate”.
“He is the former co-ordinator of the national intelligence co-ordinating committee, the body that co-ordinates all the intelligence agencies in the country; former national commissioner of correctional services and former head of security for the 2010 FIFA World Cup and 2014 Chan tournaments,” said Ntshona.
“This experience will certainly contribute immensely to the municipality’s efforts of fighting against crime, enforcing by-laws and establishment of the metro police.”