The battle at Nelson Mandela Bay metro reached boiling point when the DA drafted a motion of no confidence against mayor Zanoxolo Wayile, accusing him of plunging the metro into crisis.
The motion, which was submitted on Tuesday, will be tabled for discussion on December 6 if it is to be considered by the council.
Some ANC councillors indicated their support for the move by signing a petition drafted by the opposition for Wayile to go.
It remains to be seen if the DA motion, which is similar to the vote of no confidence motion submitted last week by opposition parties in Parliament against President Jacob Zuma, will succeed. Should that happen, Nelson Mandela metro council would be the first where the ruling party and the opposition have collaborated to oust a sitting mayor. The ANC in the region does not see eye to eye with the metro council under Wayile, who unsuccessfully challenged party regional chairperson Nceba Faku for the ANC leadership in the last elective conference.
However, the ANC in the province has sent a stern warning to all ANC councillors in the council who signed the petition with opposition parties to “immediately withdraw their signatures”.
“The decision to sign this petition was taken in a manner that undermines the ANC and its deployees in the metro,” said ANC provincial secretary Oscar Mabuyane.
DA leader in the metro Leon De Villiers blamed Wayile for his “poor political leadership and ongoing mismanagement”.
“Service delivery protests are now almost a weekly occurrence and it is very clear that the mayor is unable to honour his election promises. He has failed to eradicate the bucket system, and the housing backlog stands at 92000,” said De Villiers.
Mabuyane said the ANC distanced itself from the petition, including any plans that may “destabilise” the metro.
“ANC disciplinary processes will be explored to deal with any person that contravened our policies and instructions. ANC members in the metro must focus on building better communities and nothing else.”
ANC regional secretary in Nelson Mandela Bay Zandisile Qupe said: “The ANC in this region has noted that in the recent past the metro has been underperforming on all of its mandates given to us by the people and we cannot, and will not, sit by and be quiet about a municipality that we are supposed to drive in order to achieve the mandate given to us by the people.”
MEC for local government Mlibo Qoboshiyane said his office would continue to offer support to the metro despite political interference from the regional ANC and opposition. “Our interest is to ensure this municipality gives value for money services to our people. It is time for all of us to put away childish things.”
The ANC top brass visited the metro in September in a bid to save it from “total collapse”.
Article source: http://www.thenewage.co.za/70089-1007-53-DA_plans_to_oust_mayor