The Democratic Alliance is celebrating Mandela Day by participating in a number of activities around the province tomorrow – Wednesday 18 July, varying from cleanup campaigns in municipal wards in the Eastern Cape’s two Metros to running soup kitchens and filling potholes in Nahoon.
It is important that participation in this day is as wide-spread as possible as it helps to not only build a better society but to engender a spirit of national reconciliation in our country.
It is important to remember that this day is celebrated not only in South Africa, but around the world. Nelson Mandela is not only our Tata – the father of the nation – but also a global figure. As we participate in the day, let us remember the core values that Nelson Mandela stands for, such as a compassion for others, accountability and service before self.
Veliswa Mvenya, MPL
The DA activities in Port Elizabeth:
- Ward 9, 23, 29 NMMM – Cleanup campaigns
- Ward 10 NMMM – Painting school and establishing a vegetable garden
- Ward 12 NMMM – Handing out blankets to a crèche
- Ward 32 NMMM – Partake in Missionvale Care Centre program.
- Ward 53 NMMM – Cooking food for the less fortunate
- Ward 52 NMMM – Visiting an old age home, Despatch