On behalf of the Democratic Alliance, I wish all our Grade 12 learners well as they embark on the last leg of their school careers when their matric finals commence on Monday, 24 October 2016.
Your matric year represents a pivotal time in your life and offers the opportunity to set the tone for your future life. We look forward to your contribution towards making this province a place of prosperity and forward thinking.
This can only be achieved through your determination to get a quality education that will prepare you to become the leaders of the future and to be part of the fast-changing global economy.
Our learners have endured much this year, including:
- Severe teacher shortages in many schools;
- Overcrowded classrooms;
- An unpleasant learning environment, including dilapidated buildings with little or no school furniture;
- Lack of subject content in critical subjects such as Maths, Science and Accounting, offered by unqualified educators;
- Shortage of classrooms in some schools, resulting in two or three subjects being taught in one classroom concurrently; and
- The multi-grade teaching phenomenon, which is still prevalent in many schools.
Despite all of these disruptive conditions our learners have persevered with their studies. We salute you for that.
I commend all of our educators who have not neglected their duties despite the numerous challenges in the Eastern Cape. Your hard work and dedication to our learners do not go unnoticed.
We urge the Class of 2016 to work hard, burn the midnight oil and make their parents and guardians proud. We believe in you.
Edmund van Vuuren
The following two tabs change content below.