AS PETROL stations in Mthatha in the Eastern Cape ran dry, businesses in Nelson Mandela Bay and surrounding areas have allayed fears of a fuel shortage and empty shelves as truck drivers continued their strike for better wages.
Two trucks were petrol-bombed in the Bay – one on the Addo road near Wells Estate and the other at the intersection of Johnson and Uitenhage roads in Zwide.
Police would not say whether the bombing was linked to the ongoing SA Transport and Allied Workers’ Union strike which began last Monday, but were investigating the matter.
Businesses across the Bay have put contingency plans in place to prevent any impact on the consumer as the transport workers’ strike – which has had the country on edge amid fears of investor losses – enters its second week.
The automotive industry, the backbone of manufacturing in the Eastern Cape, has minimised the impact on production with contingency planning before the strike.
General Motors SA spokesman Lunga Ntsendwana said the strike had threatened their car assembly line but production levels remained unaffected.
“The transport workers’ strike has disrupted our material supply activities in our vehicle assembly facility,” he said.
“We do have a contingency plan in place which is enabling us to continue to build vehicles at our normal production levels.”
Volkswagen SA spokesman Matt Gennrich said they were also operating as usual, although the strike had made things difficult for them.
“We had made contingency plans and will continue monitoring the situation every day. So far, we have been operating normally.”
Read More Here: http://www.peherald.com/news/article/8920