The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality (NMBM), through the Mandela Bay Development Agency (MBDA), extends a warm and excited welcome to all South African citizens to submit innovative ideas for the development of an iconic, world-class precinct to celebrate and honour the city’s namesake, Tata Nelson Mandela’s contribution to South Africa.
The landmark precinct is to be the identity of the City of Nelson Mandela Bay, showcasing and celebrating all the different cultures and heritages represented in the city, including a statue of Madiba.
Announcing the initiative, Anele Qaba, Executive Director of Economic Development, Tourism and Agriculture, says: “The city has a unique opportunity, being the only one to borrow the name of the great icon in the late Nelson Mandela. The iconic landmark precinct, when open, will be the centrepiece and hub of tourism, creative economy and a meeting place for all peoples of the world, adding much needed unique tourism offerings to grow the tourism economy of our region.”
The MBDA, which has been charged with implementing this programme, has designed a process that is accessible by all, regardless of locality, affluence and social standing. Manager for Planning and Development, Dorelle Sapere says: “We have created multiple platforms for citizens to engage and participate. Not only will the big creative agencies or architect firms enter, but every other citizen has an equal opportunity to design the future iconic landmark. Various online and offline platforms are now available closer to communities.”
Sapere outlines the process:
1. Either go online at www.designyourprecinct.co.za or visit at public centre listed below to pick up information and entry forms.
2. Second step is to let your creativity flow into a sheet of paper, as directed in the form.
3. Submit your entry either through the submissions button online or go to any of the public centres listed below, where submission boxes have been made available.
#DesignYourPrecinct entry forms are available at the following sites around the Bay:
1. The Athenaeum, Belmont Terrace
2. The Tramways, Valley Road
3. Helenvale Resource Centre
4. Motherwell Business Support Centre
5. Nelson Mandela Bay Science and Technology Centre
6. Uitenhage Museum
#DesignYourPrecinct submission boxes are available at the following sites:
1. NMB Science Centre in Uitenhage (box will be collected on 4 May 2018)
2. Helenvale Resource Centre (box will be collected on 4 May 2018)
3. Motherwell Business Support Centre (box will be collected on 4 May 2018)
4. Tramways building (box closed on 5 May at 12pm)
5. New Brighton Library (box will be collected on the 4th May 2018).
6. Nelson Mandela Bay Art Museum
7. Sports, Recreation, Arts and Culture
#DesignYourPrecinct is open to creative South Africans, as individuals or in consortia and involving associates from elsewhere in the world if desired.
For more information, please contact the Project Coordinator, Oyama Vanto: telephone: +27(0) 41 811 8200, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Twitter @your_precinct, Instagram @designyourprecinct, Facebook www.facebook.com/designyourprecinct. Web site http://www.designyourprecinct.co.za