Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified candidates to be appointed as members of Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’s Audit Committee.
In accordance with Sections 165 and 166 of the Municipal Finance Management Act (MFMA), Local Government Municipal Planning and Performance Management Regulation of 2001, and a delegation under the Audit Committee
Charter, the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality seeks to appoint suitably qualified professionals to serve as Audit Committee members. Applicants are sought from various fields or professions that will add value to the Municipality.
The members of the Committee should at least meet the following competency requirements:
- The necessary professional acumen, strong leadership and personal qualities, as demonstrated in business and the community.
- The utmost integrity and objectivity, as well as the ability to contribute to a transparent administration and good governance.
- A good understanding of the Committee’s position in the governance structure.
- The ability to build relations and communicate effectively with management.
- The ability and capability to conduct the Audit Committee’s affairs efficiently and effectively, with sound knowledge of issues affecting local government and proven expertise/skills and experience in the following fields: Financial and management accounting; performance management; human resources management and labour relations; internal auditing; legal; projects management, corporate governance; engineering; risk management; internal controls and knowledge of municipal legislations.
A post-graduate qualification in accounting, internal/auditing or management CA (SA) qualification or other relevant disciplines, such as human resources, IT, the environment and engineering fields. Experience in financial and performance auditing and as a member of an Audit Committee in the local government and/or public sector, including reporting, will be a recommendation.
Advising the municipal Council, the political office-bearers, the accounting officer and management staff of the Municipality on matters relating to:
Internal audit; internal financial controls; accounting policies; risk management; adequacy, reliability and accuracy of financial reporting and information; performance management; effective governance; compliance with the Municipal Finance Management, the Division of Revenue Act and any other applicable legislation; any other issues referred to it by the Municipality; reviewing the annual financial statements; responding to the Council on any issues raised by the Auditor-General; and carrying out any investigations into the financial affairs of the Municipality as the Council may request.
TERMS OF OFFICE AND REMUNERATION
The term of office of the appointed candidate will be for a three-year period, after which it will be reviewed at the discretion of the Council. Persons appointed to the Audit Committee will be remunerated at rates determined in accordance the guidelines and prescripts of the National Treasury Regulations.
CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS: FRIDAY, 27 JUNE 2014, AT 12:00 NOON
Applicants are required to send detailed curriculum vitae with copies of qualifications marked “Audit Committee – Private and Confidential” to the Director: Internal Audit and Risk Assurance, Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, P.O. Box 116, Port Elizabeth, 6000 or hand deliver to the ninth floor, Corner House, Govan Mbeki Avenue, Port Elizabeth.
Interested persons may not have any business or contractual dealings with the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality. This is to ensure that the Audit Committee members remain independent and objective from any municipal activities during the period of appointment on the Audit Committee.
To obtain copies of the Audit Committee Charter, please forward an email to; firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information, please contact the Director: Internal Audit and Risk Assurance on 041 506 1217.
The following two tabs change content below.