There is no such thing as a free App!
The TED Talk below is one that I watched right to the end.
If you care about protecting your rights then you would be well advised to take note of:
- Cayla – the snooping, creepy, grooming enabling doll
- Hidden consent boxes
- Unequal terms
- Warnings that you are signing your rights away in peroetuity and irrevocably just by ticking “Yes”
- Dating Sites that get your permission to use your images (even those NOT uploaded to the Dating Sites) in any way, shape or form
First let me remind you of what things used to be like before the internet became all about money:
- All information was free
- People built and shared web sites for the greater good
- When a web site asked you for your e-mail address you thought long and hard about sharing that ONE piece of personal information
- When a web site asked you for your actual name you ran for the hills
- I remember when MyPE ran a forum how fascinating it was trying to work out exactly who was behind a certain username and avatar
- Then and Now we at MyPE have a simple privacy philosophy – We don’t want chapter and verse, we just want your name and email address along with permission to contact you if we have something to share and, if you want to leave then do so with our blessing. Along with that we promise not too share your name and email address with anyone.
We still find it hilarious that people give away their rights in order