ANC Secretary-General Gwede Mantashe has told the Sunday Times that the ANC will withdraw the dispute over the Nelson Mandela Bay elections as it was “not worth it“.
Earlier on Thursday‚ the party lodged a dispute with the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) over alleged voting irregularities in the battleground metro.
The party’s regional task team coordinator‚ Bheza Ntshona‚ said it had raised concerns about a “systematic attempt to manipulate the outcome of the votes“.
He said among their concerns were the inadequate voting stations and tents in township wards and ballot papers found in a tent near the IEC results centre in Zwide.
“We have not received a written response from the IEC to two letters we have written. All concerns were raised and irregularities identified. We don’t believe this will be a fair election. We are working with our legal team on way a forward‚” Ntshona said.
“Whatever the outcome is‚ we do not believe it will reflect the will of the people.”
But it now appears that the ANC’s national leadership won’t pursue the objection. — TMG Digital/The Herald