Posted: 2012-04-04 11:40
The South African Football Association is allegedly demanding “tens of millions” from potential host cities for next year’s Africa Cup of Nations.
Cities were invited to bid last week, but Cape Town and Polokwane have since been put off by Safa’s demand of R20 million, on the realisation that cities would run at a loss if they host the tournament.
At this stage Mbombela, Rustenburg, Port Elizabeth, Bloemfontein and Johannesburg are leading the race for the five venues.
The budget for the tournament has been estimated at approximately R100 million, but Cape Town and Polokwane are throwing in the towel saying they can’t afford the R20 million each city is supposed to pay to secure the rights.
“Safa have no sponsor for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations and that’s the reason cities must cough up so much money,” a source reveals to KickOff.com.
“In fact, cities won’t make any profit from hosting the Afcon based on what we have been told. All the billboards around cities, for example, will have to go in favour of those of the Afcon sponsors, Orange and that is loss of income for the cities… These people [Caf] take control of everything.
“In return, the host cities will get 20% of the gate takings so the cities hosting this will do so at a loss,” he says.
Polokwane’s executive mayor Freddy Greaver admitted in a radio interview with Capricorn FM that the municipality is indeed baulking at the costs associated with running the event.
“It is perhaps not accurate to say Polokwane has withdrawn its candidacy… We have presented to Safa and the Afcon LOC. We have raised in council the affordability of the contract that Safa forwarded for us to sign. We are engaging Safa around those particular issues.
“Ultimately, if nothing changes then certainly Polokwane won’t be able to participate purely from an affordability point of view,” he said.
“Safa have to lookout for their best interests and you can’t fault them for what they put forward to us but we believe, having analysed [the contract] clause-by-clause, that it will just simply cost the municipality too many millions. We don’t have that kind of money. It is not R1 million, R5 million or R10 million, but it is tens of millions that we need to have for this particular event,” Griever added.
Safa will announce the successful candidates on April 20, with the tournament set to kick off on January 19 running until February 10 next year.
Follow me on Twitter @TTM16