To see how hard working Ward Councillors go about their jobs, see Ward 5 councillor, Jeremy Davis’ newsletter below.
You may contact Ward 5 using the contact form at the bottom of this report.
15/04/2013 – Monday
- Ronald Shaw received his permanent ID document. (Roland has been dry for 10 months!)
- Cllr Davis thanked Dr Mitchell for completing the Medical report for Mrs Russeau who is will be moved to Echo frail care in Walmer.
- Cllr Davis contacted Mr Alon Rathbone who owns the derelict property in Tulla Street, Richmond Hill – He was sent the letter of complaint regarding this property.
- The broken drain grid at the corner of Lawrence Street and Russell Road, Central was reported again. Ref: 361732
- Cllr Davis arranged to have Havelock Street, Central cleaned after residence had put out their black bags on Saturday. As a result the bags were ripped open and litter was strewn in the street. These residents will be warned that they cannot leave the bags out before the day of collection, which in this case would be at 06:00 hrs on Monday (houses, businesses and flats) and Thursday (businesses and flats)
- Cllr Davis arranged to have black bags in Prince Alfred Road, Sydenham removed with the same warning to residents. Sydenham collection is on Tuesday (houses) and Monday and Thursday (businesses and flats).
- Cllr Davis attended a joint caucus.
- Proof of address for Chimanpka Chikezie and Charles Hare
- Cllr Davis reported a missing fire hydrant cover in Crawford Street, North End. Ref 372580.
- Cllr Davis received a copy of an application for Council’s Special Consent to operate a licensed restaurant at Erf 940, Central situated at 28 Lansdowne Place, Richmond Hill. A pamphlet was distributed to surrounding residents and businesses.
- Cllr Davis arranged to have black bags left at the corner of Elizabeth Street and Middle Street, North End collected.
16/04/2013 – Tuesday
- Cllr Davis reported two manhole covers missing at the bottom of Kirkwood Street, North End. Ref 373001
- Cllr Davis wrote an email objecting to the licensed restaurant at 28 Lansdowne Place, Richmond Hill.
- A complaint was received from the resident at 5 Powell Street, North End about the neighbour at 11 Powell Street, North End operating a furniture manufacturing business illegally. Cllr Davis reported this to the senior Land Usage official to investigate.
- The black bags reported on Monday at the corner of Elizabeth and Middle Street, North End were reported once again and were then removed.
- Cllr Davis once again phoned Col Houwland who will send Capt Stander to Clampett Park, Richmond Hill to deal with the vagrants that have taken up residence in the park. Capt Stander sent a bakkie and the people from the park were removed. This after a complaint from a lady from Baddaford Flats in Newington Street, Richmond Hill who had been threatened with a broken bottle by one of the vagrants.
- Cllr Davis once again emailed Basil Skosana regarding the dangerous intersection at Bingley Street and Westbourne Road, Richmond Hill. Cllr Davis has requested that a Traffic calming measure be installed here.
17/04/2013 – Wednesday
- Cllr Davis reported black bags left outside 48/50 Clevedon Road, Mount Croix which had been ripped open.
- Two water meter covers reported at 54 and 56 Clevedon Road, Mount Croix were once again reported and the request for them to be replaced was sent to the supervisor at the Installation Workshop. Ref: 367278.
- Cllr Davis had a meeting with Debbie Hendricks to discuss Mrs Buchner’s business in Dyason Street, Mount Croix who has applied for Council’s Special Consent. Mrs Buchner was advised to put in a new application after the review has been heard by the Human Settlements Committee.
- Cllr Davis wrote a letter to the press regarding the Newton Park Swimming Pool debacle.
- Cllr Davis reported that residents in Middle Avenue, North End were piling their black bags at the corner of Elizabeth Street, North End. Waste Management was requested to advise these residents to put their bags in front of their own homes as making one pile was encouraging outsiders to dump their rubbish at this point as well.
- A broken water pipe was reported opposite 21 Albert Road, Sydenham. Ref: 37305 It would seem that this pipe has been leaking for at least 4 years!
- Cllr Davis visitexd Khumabulani School, Richmond Hill where the gate was once again left open. He requested that the principal make sure that this gate remains locked.
- Cllr Davis once again wrote to the Mayor and the City Manager requesting their assistance in defraying costs for the Cricket Board.
With all due respect, I must draw your attention to the high cost incurred by the Eastern Province Cricket Board for services rendered by the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality at the T20 International cricket match against New Zealand on 26 December 2012.
Please note that the Eastern Province Cricket Board is a non profit organisation and that events of this nature keep the Metro on the map so to speak. This is an international occasion recognised all over the cricketing world and must be encourage and supported by the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality.
To incur a cost of R12 080.00 can only be described as unacceptable.
Mr Executive Mayor, I ask for your indulgence in this case and assistance defraying the costs.
My best regards to you during these difficult times.
18/04/2013 – Thursday
- Cllr Davis received an email from Lt-Col Houwland who has undertaken that more patrols and visits will conducted at the house on the corner of Tulla and Will Street, Richmond Hill.
- The street lights not working in Clevedon Road, Mount Croix were re-escalated to Richard Harris at Electricity.
- Cllr Davis reported a large hole at the corner of Lutman and Edward Streets, Richmond Hill. There are exposed cables. An email was sent to Carl Hempel at Electricity requesting that this hole be made secure before the weekend. Ref: 373815.
- Cllr Davis emailed Norman Gumede at Public Health regarding the extended trading hours at Castro’s in Eastbourne Road, Mount Croix.
- Mrs Russeau was taken to the Echo Frail Care Centre in Walmer Township. She was transported by a Gardmed ambulance.
- Mrs Dube visited the office and an email was once again sent to the Premier of Eastern Cape regarding the funds that NMMU students require to continue their studies.
The Hon Noxolo Kiviet
In reply to your letter dated 4 April 2013, I request you attend to this matter in terms of what I write to you.
The students as a result of delays no longer qualify for NSFAS and want to continue with their studies for the rest of the year, but do not have funds to do so. Other students have once again not yet registered due to the lack of funds being made available in time to register.
NASAKWA requested the faculty officials concerned to allow the students to attend classes until such time as funds were available. Some students borrowed money from loan sharks whom they are now unable to repay, as you can see it is essential that financial assistance be made available to these students who incidentally have one objective in life and that is to continue with their studies. The funds must cover registration costs and further study costs.
19/04/2013 – Friday
- Two missing fire hydrant cover were reported by Cllr Davis at the bottom of Eastbourne Road, Mount Croix. Ref: 374040.
- Proof of address for Andile Twecu.
- Meeting with residents at Mackay Street to discuss planting of trees in Richmond Hill, the cutting of the grass and general clean up of this open space – Erven 4301, zoned Residential 3 (567m²) and and business 1 (3062m²) – and Erf 6143, zoned Business 1 and Erf 435, zoned Residential owned by the NMBM. These erven provide a pleasant walking place for dogs and human beings at the bottom of Mackay and Irvine Streets, Richmond Hill.
- Cllr Davis once again spoke to “Q-Bar” and “Motherland” in Parliament Street, Central about keeping the area outside their premises clean and putting their bags of rubbish out in time for the truck.