Port Elizabeth – Four Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality employees appeared in court on Friday for allegedly stealing millions of rands intended to pay for a public transport system, the Hawks said.
They allegedly dipped into R208m which Treasury had approved for an improved integrated public transport system in the municipality, and used R12m of it for personal gain, spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Robert Netshiunda said.
The three, aged between 51 and 62, appeared at the Port Elizabeth Magistrate’s Court on Friday after they handed themselves over to the Hawks earlier in the day.
They face charges of corruption and money laundering. They were each released on R2 000 bail and their case was postponed to May 3 for further investigation. A fourth co-accused was out of town and would appear alongside them then.
They were ordered to surrender their passports and had to inform the investigating officer if they wanted to travel abroad.
Hawks head Lieutenant General Mthandazo Ntlemeza warned civil servants against abusing public money.
“The claws of the Hawks are out for all those who continue to rob innocent citizens of their deserved basic services and their days of enriching themselves with government money are over,” he said.