The Port Elizabeth Businesswomen’s Association (BWA) has crowned its six leading businesswomen for 2015, each a winner in her category in this year’s prestigious annual Regional Business Achievers Awards, sponsored by Investec and held at the Boardwalk Hotel Conference Centre last night (Thursday 18 June 2015).
Selected for their inspiring successes from a pool of 18 impressive finalists (three in each category), the 2015 winners are:
- Emerging Entrepreneur – Heather Crompton, fashion designer and owner of Chocolates for Breakfast
- Entrepreneur – Leisel Petrie, owner of Incredible Kids Daycare
- Social Entrepreneur – Dr Trudi Basson, General Manager of Maranatha Street Workers Trust
- Corporate – Tracy Weise, Dealer Principal, Market Square Volkswagen Uitenhage
- Government – Mpumi Dweba-Kwetana, Port Manager – Port of Ngqura, Transnet National Ports Authority
- Professional – Dr Janet Meier, owner of Upper Cervical Chiropractic Centre
This year saw a record number of entries, with 120 businesswomen, not necessarily BWA members, nominated by the community from a wide range of industries. Michelle Brown, chairwoman of BWA’s dynamic local branch, said the experience for the 18 carefully selected finalists was “a journey of huge personal and business growth and extremely rewarding”.
“Ultimately six winners – one in each category – are selected through an audited judging process. The final panel of independent judges each year represents a broad cross-section of highly respected leaders in business, government and civil society.
“The RBAA celebrates the achievement and leadership of South African women in business. We contribute so much, alongside men, and deserve to stop a moment to reflect on and celebrate our achievements,” she said.
“The calibre of our 2015 RBAA winners and finalists is exceptional. These women are an inspiration and we at the PE BWA Branch are so very proud of what they have achieved, and will continue to achieve, beyond this initiative.”
Keynote speaker at the glamorous Awards evening was radio and television personality – and mum of two – Leanne Manas, perhaps best known as the popular presenter of SABC’s flagship breakfast programme, Morning Live.
Author: MJ Botha for BWA PE
The following two tabs change content below.