First-year industrial engineering student and South African hockey player Ignatius Malgraff is the 2014 NMMU Sportsman of the Year.
This accolade is added to a host of others namely:
- World League event in Argentina during February 2014
- Azlah Shah Cup in Malaysia during March 2014
- German Test Series in Cape Town during April 2014
- World Cup in Holland during May 2014
- Commonwealth Games in Scotland during July 2014
Earlier this year he was one of only two juniors who made the national hockey squad to tour to the Netherlands.
Ignatius started playing hockey while at St John’s Road Primary and continued throughout high school at Hudson Park High.
He first received SA colours as an under-16 player in 2009 and made his debut for the senior side at the FIH Champions Challenge in Argentina two years ago.
Last year, he was selected for the under-21 team that competed in the Junior World Cup in India.
When the young hockey genius is not on the turf, he spends his time behind his textbooks. “I am considering playing club hockey abroad, but I first want to complete my studies.”
The following two tabs change content below.