This image is from the MyPE Editor’s Flickr Account – offering some topical daily images from a phone smarter than Alan, occasional images from a DSLR and scanned images of Port Elizabeth as he wanders around the Bay pretending to know a lot and sometimes succeeding in making a complete hash of it!
1881: Horse-Drawn Tram
Image by awstraton
The first horse-drawn tram plied between the Market Square (now Vuyisile Mini Square) and North End. The terminus being the old tram sheds which stood opposite the Railway Hotel.
On 16 June 1897 the horse-drawn trams were replaced by electric trams and, after testing by Goverment Electrician Mr AP Trotter, the line was extended to the Hill.
The Humewood extension of about 1 and a third miles was constructed principally upon a sleeper track on account of the sand and opened for service in 1902.
This image is randomly selected from an ever growing repository of publicly available images taken in and around Port Elizabeth.
The following two tabs change content below.