This image is from the MyPE Editor’s Flickr Account – offering some topical daily images from a phone smarter than Alan, occasional images from a DSLR and scanned images of Port Elizabeth as he wanders around the Bay pretending to know a lot and sometimes succeeding in making a complete hash of it!
1866: Union Castle Corner
Image by awstraton
From the union Castle Corner northward along Main Street were several small business stands. They included Hendricks the butcher, Scallans Tailor Shop, a few general dealers, an undertaker, several greengrocers and other sundry offices.
Property in the early days was cheap – in 1883, three Church plots which included the whole of St Mary’s Terrace were sold to Mr WM Harries for 35 Pounds.
This image is randomly selected from an ever growing repository of publicly available images taken in and around Port Elizabeth.