This image is from the MyPE Editor’s Flickr Account – offering some topical daily images from a phone smarter than Alan, occasional images from a DSLR and scanned images of Port Elizabeth as he wanders around the Bay pretending to know a lot and sometimes succeeding in making a complete hash of it!
1858: The Old Provinicial Hospital
Image by awstraton
A tender of 3 425 pounds was accepted from Mr Williams for the construction of the first Provincial Hospital. Work commenced in February 1857 and was completed by July 1858.
In 1863 the Victoria and Albert ward was opened.
One of the wards was named after Dr Rubidge after his death in August 1869.
In 1873 a dining-room and extra rooms for staff were added, together with a store room and sundry offices.
In 1875 the entire grounds were enclosed with a brick wall. Dr Dunsterville passed away in this year and the ward then used for female patients was named ‘Dunsterville Ward’ in his memory. He was succeeded by Dr F. Ensor.
In 1877 the ‘Chronic’ and ‘Pearson’ Wards were added – the latter named after Mr H.W. Pearson who had taken an active and practical interest in the work of the Institution.
Further accommodation was provided in 1882 by the erection of the Rubidge Ward.
in 1901 five morgen of ground was allotted just off Cape Road for a new Provinicial Hospital – the site that the hospital stands on today.
This image is randomly selected from an ever growing repository of publicly available images taken in and around Port Elizabeth.
The following two tabs change content below.